Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Washington, DC (Part 4)

So technically the last day of our trip was spent in Maryland and Virginia, but because this was still a part of our "Washington, DC Vacation", I'll call it "Part 4". We woke up in Washington, DC on Sunday morning and headed north to my cousins house in Maryland. I had only met this first cousin once before, but have kept in touch via Facebook. I had also met his wife previously, but now he also has a son. It was so nice seeing their family and I wish we could have visited a bit longer and had more time for "grown up" conversation, but that's the reality of having kids now I guess.

Cousins in Maryland

We left their house in Maryland around noon and drove to Mount Vernon in Virginia to make one last tourist stop before our long trip home. Mount Vernon, as you probably know, was the home of President George Washington. We enjoyed our afternoon there. We toured the house and walked on the grounds.

Bridget with Martha Washington
I tried to get a good picture of the older two on the lawn with the Potomac River in the background. You can see how well that worked out. All George wanted to do was run and play on the hill. I can't say I blame him for that. I can only imagine the excitement I would have had as a kid visiting Mount Vernon.

George running on the lawn at Mount Vernon

Bridget was nice enough to let me get a nice picture of her.

Bridget in front of the Potomac River

The kids and Mount Vernon

There were a few other things going on at Mount Vernon, such as this hot air balloon demonstration. We stopped and watched this for a few minutes per my husbands request. Then we went to where those white tents were.

18th century hot air balloon

When we got to the white tents, I had hoped they had more demonstrations there (like they did at Colonial Williamsburg), but it turned out to be people wearing 18th century clothing and selling kitchen utensils, portraits, and soaps. While those were items from that era, it would have been nice to see those items being made in addition to being sold.

We finally left Mount Vernon in the late afternoon and didn't get back home until almost 10 o'clock at night. It was a good trip but it was nice to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...