Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Thanksgiving 2014

Thanksgiving was celebrated over a month ago, but I need to record it before I forget it.
I hosted our Thanksgiving dinner at my home again this year. It was just a small meal (by typical Thanksgiving meal standards), as it was only my parents coming over this year. The menu was:
Tofurkey (cooked with onions and the gravy that came with it)
Mashed Potatoes
Mushroom Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Stuffing (made by my dad)
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Candied Corn
Cranberry Applesauce
Whole Wheat Rolls (made by my husband)
For dessert, we had:
Caramel-Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Cookies (pumpkin and peanut butter, both made by my mom)
Holidays with kids are always fun, and this Thanksgiving was Liam's first. Of course he was not able to partake in any of the delicious food, but his company was nice. 

Bridget was excited that she was able to fit in her turkey outfit one more year.

I was unable to get any good photos of George on Thanksgiving, but these are the photos from the day before. As I had mentioned in a previous post, George had a little run in with Granny's hot glue gun.
On the day before Thanksgiving, my parents came over to watch the kids while I made a quick run to the grocery store. Before I left, I handed Liam over to my dad and set Bridget and George up with play-dough at the kitchen table with my mom. When I got home, the play-dough was still all over the kitchen table and my mom had brought over some crafts to do with the kids (I did not know about this). I came inside, unloaded groceries, and saw Bridget and my mom using the hot glue gun. I took a deep sigh, and went back to the van to grab more groceries, and came back inside. Bridget was done with her craft, and my mom seemed to be putting away the hot glue gun. I went and got Liam from my dad to go change his diaper and get ready to feed him. As Liam was still on the changing table, my dad and I heard George let out a huge scream. My dad went running, I diapered up Liam, and met them in the kitchen. My mom and George were sitting at the kitchen table with the hot glue gun. After a couple of minutes, my mom finally gets up with George and brings him to the kitchen sink (he's still screaming bloody murder). At this time, I handed Liam over to my dad and took over with George. He wouldn't stop screaming and his finger looked raw. I took him to our bathroom and applied some ointment and a bandage to get him to calm down. This worked, so we sat down and ate a quick lunch and my parents went home.
After they left, I wanted to get  a closer look at the burn. This is when I took the following pictures. It looked so painful, so I called the doctor and they said to come right in. They made sure he could still bend his fingers, and they determined that it was a second degree burn. They gave us some special burn medicine and bandages to put on every day and they wanted to see him back the following week. George wanted his burn to be bandaged for almost 2 weeks (he didn't mind looking at it when we changed his bandage, but he wanted it to be covered when he played and ate). It was three weeks after the burn that George finally stopped holding his finger out. It was a very traumatic experience for him, and he still remembers it. I don't think he'll be doing anything with a hot glue gun for a long time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...