Thursday, February 2, 2012

Introducing George Lewis Sparrow!

Our newest addition is finally here!!! He arrived right on his due date on January 29, 2012. I picked my parents up at the airport at about 5:30 p.m. on Saturday and brought them back to the house where we ate my homemade vegetarian chili for dinner at around 6:30 p.m. Not too long after dinner, I felt like my water broke. So I called my midwife and she said to come on in. I packed my hospital bag (yes, I still hadn’t packed it, but when you don’t have much clothing to begin with it’s very easy to pack), and kissed Bridget good-bye, and my husband took me to the hospital. When getting checked out in triage, the midwife confirmed that my water had indeed broken but it was only the first membrane. She told me I was going to be staying, and that she would break the second membrane after I got settled in my room. I had no idea my water could be broken twice. So, we get settled and call my parents to let them know that I was going to be staying. The midwife told me it may be at least 8 hours before delivering because I was only 1-2 cm dilated. I sent my husband home so that he could get a good night’s rest and be more useful the next day (we live just 5 minutes from the hospital). While at the hospital, they started me on Pitocin to help things along and also antibiotics for Group B Strep. I was starting to feel the contractions so I went ahead and got the epidural so that I could get some rest. At 4 a.m., the nurse checked me again and I was only 4 cm dilated. Then at 6 a.m., she checked again and told me I was fully dilated and ready to go. I called my husband and he came back to the hospital. There were a lot of babies being born that morning so my midwife let me wait a little bit longer to let the baby move further down while she tended to some other mothers. One woman had come in to give birth to her 7th child, so the midwife thought she would definitely have her baby before me, but things for that woman weren’t moving along very quickly. So the midwife came back to see if I was ready, and I was. I pushed for 30 minutes (did not feel a thing) and there he was! A 20 inch, 9 lb. 2 oz. baby boy! We did not expect a baby that big!

All clean!

9 lbs., 2.2 oz.!

Daddy holding George for the first time

My parents and Bridget came to see me later that afternoon. Bridget wasn't too happy with me. It was the first time I had spent the night away from her. Luckily, Bridget didn't take it out on the new baby. Instead, she fell in love.

Papa getting to hold George for the first time
George is named for my dad's father, George Leon Crosson Jr. (and Lewis comes from my husband's grandfather, Lewis Otis Sparrow).

Our first 'family of four' photo.
Pointing out George's eyes, nose, ears, hair, etc.

Getting ready to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...